Learning to Love Like Jesus Christ

 Welcome

Hello and welcome. I am excited that you came to learn more about the way God's Love works and how you can share it with others. If you are not a believer but are interested or curious to learn about the love Jesus is offering then I encourage you to stick around. First I want to share with you a little bit about myself.

My Walk With God

I grew up in a Christian household but my parents were split on denomination. My father is Baptist and my mother is Catholic. Please don't misunderstand me, my parents love eachother very much and are very faithful followers of Christ, they just worship in a different way. Even though I was brought up in a Christian family I never really understood God or how He loved me or any of that stuff. Being pitched back and forth between the two churches, like two people playing a game of catch, I think just got to be too much for me to handle as a child. In any case as I grew older into my teen years I just stopped trying to understand it. Actually I got down right angry at God and started to blame him for everything bad that seemed to happen in the world. I didn't like God and I didn't like the church.
When I was about 18 years old I was pretty heavy into the party scene and well it wasn't your grandmothers tea party type of party scene. I had been through a few rough relationships around that time and I started getting really down on myself. I starting thinking the worst in myself and beating myself up over relatively minor things. I got to a point where I hit rock bottom. It was during that time that I went to the only person that had always been there for me when I needed her the most. My mother usually had a way of cheering me up but this time was different. She asked me to just listen and keep my heart open while she prayed for me. Even though my parents had spent my whole life teaching me about God, it was on that night that I truly felt His love for the first time. On that night I gave my life over to God and accepted Jesus as my Lord and Saviour. Later on that same week is when I started dating my beautiful wife Heather and she had been right in front of me for 4 years as one of my best friends. I have since started attending Brookview Community Church in Lynnwood, WA and have been growing in a deeper relationship with God ever since.

Accepting God's Love For Yourself

The love of God is a free gift that we need to accept. You are being offered the gift but it is up to you to accept it and open it. Luke 23: 40--43 says "But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong." Then he said, "Jesus remember me when you come into your kingdom." Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise." This man was being crusified next to Jesus and realized that Jesus was the Messiah. Now God had already gifted the man with love but it was only at that moment that he accepted it and opened the gift. That man hanging next to Jesus was a criminal that had committed all the crimes that he was being punished for but Jesus gave him love anyway and assured him that they would be together in paradise.

It doesn't take any effort to accept a gift does it? We just have to be willing to do it. A gift is something freely given. Be like the man who was hanging on the cross next to Jesus and accept the gift of God's love. Let Jesus in to your heart and follow him. Accepting his gift is the first step in learning to love like Jesus Christ. The second step can be a bit tricky!

Sharing God's Love With Others

Galatians 5: 14 says "The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." So if that is the law then who is your neighbor? Everyone! This is very difficult because not everyone lives by this law. When we love our neighbor we are honoring God. When someone is mean to you then walk away or give them a word of encouragement. Do not strike back and be rude back to them. This one is the one I struggle with the most because I just want to tell people where to stick it when they are rude to me and I can feel my blood pressure rising. When you think about it though it really wouldn't do any good. What is getting into an argument with them going to accomplish? If someone is heated up then the best way to love them is to stay positive and give them the space they need to cool off. Once they've cooled off then you can talk to them. Another thing you can do is pray for them.

Sharing God's love is not only giving people space when they are angry but to show the community you live in that you care. If you have the financial ability to then you could donate to a local charity or to your local church. Tell a friend or co worker that they look nice. If you see someone who is looking down on themselves while you are out at a restaurant or something you could tell the waiter that you will pay for that person's meal and have the waiter slip them a note that says "God Loves You." There are so many ways to show people the love of God and shine His light. I suggest making a list of different things you could do and maybe just each week check a couple of them off your list.

Conclusion

There you have it. Accept God's love and share God's love. You can not have one without the other. If you have not accepted God's love then how can you share it. You can't share something you don't have and you can't have it unless you accept the free gift. God is waving it in front of you so just reach out and take it. Just like a child at Christmas, rip that gift open and accept it with all the joy within you. You will be so full of love that you will need to spread it into all areas of your life.
Thank you so much for reading. I hope that this article was helpful and life changing for you! I encourage you to read the Bible and learn what Jesus went through so that we could be with Him. Learn God's power and try to apply what you learn from it into your own life. Have a wonderful day. God Bless You!

No comments: