Is There A Heaven, A Real Life-After-Death?

How many people of faith have asked, or at least thought to themselves, is there really a Heaven? I have asked that question a number of times, and frequently felt guilty for doing so. Because, you see, I do believe in a Heaven and in a God who is omniscient; a God who says in Revelation 1:8, "I am the Alpha and the Omega, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty." So if I'm secure in that faith, if I am a 'true believer,' then why would I question the existence of Heaven, and even God? One can't believe in a Heaven without believing in a God. Maybe it's natural to sometimes have questions and doubt. After all, we as humans have a limited capacity to grasp and accept unquestionably what we're unable to see; we need concrete proof. How is it possible, if we give the matter serious consideration, to imagine God knowing what is happening throughout an entire world, and knowing what's in the heart of billions of people at any given moment? Is the best solution to simply trust that it's all real, appreciate it for what you want it to be, what you want it to mean to you? And more importantly, to have the hope that it is real, and to know that life would be meaningless without it? I believe that perhaps faith shouldn't be measured: thinking that person has 100% faith, that one has only about 45%, or whatever. After all, Jesus did say, "if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'move from here,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." That comes from Matthew 17:20-21. So that must mean that even a tiny bit of faith works just fine. "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1 When I see the beauty of the world, the complexity of the human species, the unknown number of species and subspecies of animals, birds, and insects, the moon, the stars, the clouds, the ocean, how can I, even for a moment, doubt that there is a much greater power than I who is in control? And when thinking about it, I don't see that there is a conflict between "the big bang' theory of creation, and God's creation. I know in my heart that the wonders of this world didn't just happen, that it wasn't just a fluke. In my view, the big bang might simply have been the manner in which God chose to 'create' the world. "God, Who through the Word creates all things." John 1:3 Heaven is mentioned in the Old Testament and the New Testament, but I don't get a sense from those readings what Heaven really might be like. I think the Bible is a necessary guide, with helpful suggestions and advice, and that the writers were inspired by God. But I also believe that it is filled with symbolism, metaphor, and even hyperbole. Even though Science probably plays no significant part in convincing anyone that there is a God or an afterlife, it might be debated by some 'believers' who can quote scripture that will refute such an assumption. Although scientists, particularly atheist scientists, say that there is nothing known thus far to indicate that a 'soul,' exists, it is explained to some degree in "Positive Atheism Magazine" from 2001. According to the person writing the article, the Nervous system, particularly the Brain, working in conjunction with the nerves and sensory organs, indicates that there is nothing seen which could remotely point to the possibility that a supernatural 'soul' exists. Of course, religious people believe that a 'soul' somehow survives death of the body. I think that everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, regardless of how it may differ from mine. But I will continue to pray to God, until my dying breath, to help me to believe, to believe with my whole heart and soul. Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9121518

No comments: